Laboratory information management system- An essential component in the manufacturing process:
A Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) is an advanced computer software designed to manage workflow and samples in a laboratory. It is also equipped with a database to store all information pertaining to different laboratory processes and samples in the laboratory. Laboratory information management system
is designed to maintain laboratory users’ standards and manage samples in an efficient manner. It reduces the burden of managing data by lab staff and allows them to concentrate on core activities. Besides managing humungous data generated in laboratory, it also monitors important laboratory functions such as planning of samples, QC/QA Quality Control, invoicing, and quality assurance. LIMS automates the complete workflow of all procedures in the laboratory.
Role of Laboratory information management system in the manufacturing industry:
is an important part of many businesses. It is required to provide accurate and timely information about product quality and processes. Laboratory Information Management System ensures that manufacturing processes meet safety requirements, quality standards, and other criteria. LIMS also offers analytical services, process troubleshooting, and facilitates process optimization.
In the context of cutthroat competition and globalization, manufacturing industries are under increased pressure to improve efficiency and control costs. Manufacturing industries also need to focus on the environmental and safety regulations laid down by the government. A laboratory information management system is designed to execute all these functions and responsibilities in a cost effective manner without increasing the need for manpower or workload of laboratory staff.
Advantages offered by laboratory information management systems:
• LIMS helps maximize efficiency in manufacturing processes in a cost effective manner. It also ensures that the end product meets the specified quality requirements.
• Besides monitoring batch manufacturing, a laboratory information management system can also monitor a continuous manufacturing process when integrated into process information management systems.
• It eliminates manual data entry and streamlines audit preparation, which reduces the probability of human errors.
• LIMS implements method execution, which ensures compliance with standard procedures defined for manufacturing,
• It automates routine data analysis and calculations, which allows management to review and make informed decisions at a quicker pace.
• LIMS system
is designed to release normal testing automatically. With LIMS in place, QA and QC managers can spend less time reviewing and releasing QC information.
• Laboratory information management systems can be easily integrated with other laboratory instruments without the need for additional programming.
• LIMS provides a unified, centralized, and integrated platform that eliminates the need for multiple systems.
• A laboratory information management system is equipped with a variety of reporting tools to read different types of data generated in the laboratory.
• LIMS is equipped with an integrated specification module that can manage customer and manufacturing process specifications.
• LIMS provides a convenient and flexible interface to enter, view, and update samples, information notes, and test results.
• LIMS maintains a complete specifications history, which is crucial to ensure that the past test results are in keeping with defined specifications.
A laboratory information management system is easily configurable and can adapt to any business rules, nomenclature, workflow, and manufacturing process, thus making it an integral component of the manufacturing industry.